Mon 2 Jun 2008
Okay, so the next day was the big day… The tired 302 was unhooked, unplugged and unbolted…and ready to be pulled.
Oh yeah, check out my favorite hood holder… (There just wasn’t a better place to put the darn thing.):
Since the action was about to get critical, I didn’t get a whole lot of pics for this next part of the engine swap/picker dance.
So, once the old engine was out, it was time to make sure everything was ready to get the new one in. While my husband cleaned the engine compartment (I dunno why, but I really suck at cleaning and hate doing it. Lucky for me, he’s good at it and enjoys it.), I scraped the old gaskets from the headers and made sure everything was ready.
Again, during the dance, I didn’t take pictures because our hands were full, but we got the new one engine in okay. And unlike last time, we torqued the flexplate to 80-85 so that I don’t have to pull the tranny again when the bolts work their way loose. That was not my favorite kind of automotive adventure… (Especially the aspect of someone other than myself fucking up, but I was the one stuck with fixing it. That sucked all around.)
There were a few difficulties along the way, but the darn thing is in there.
It has been a few months and gradually, we’ve gotten bits hooked up and plugged in, but we both got really busy and since we’ve got other rides, this project went to the back burner for the most part. As I write this, we are literally one heater hose fitting and a radiator away from starting the car… Oh, and an oil change, too. Can’t forget that. Here’s hoping for some time to get it all done.